Tuesday, May 25, 2010

A guy i know guessed my School ID PW and got access to my Transcripts and took a pic of them, is that ID Theft

And will I have a case in a court of law for him getting access to my account at school from him guessing my Password, nothing was charged to any account, but he got into the file, didn't do anything and also got into my AIM account, can he be charged by the FBI for Identity Theft?
Answer:
No, as he did not try to actually "steal" your identity for monetary gain, he only showed you how easily it could be done...you should thank him and change all of your passwords to protect yourself going forward to something that NOBODY can guess!
i doubt they will investigate it

but if u really want to take it far, document the evidence and get a police report
Unfortunately, you'd probably have a difficult time proving that he guessed your password and that you didn't just give it to him.
You could make the school aware of what happened and then consult an attorney as to what could be done.
First: What he did was illegal.

Second: You don't really need to prove that he guessed your password, only that he has a copy of your transcripts. Where did he use the computer to do this? If it was in a library, that makes it much easier as that there are monitoring systems in most libraries (both computer and camera) that could have caught him in the act.

I suggest that you report it to your school authorities first and then to the police. I'm not sure how your school is organized (I'm assuming you're in college), however at my college - I would start with the student life or security office. And then make a visit to the help desk and get your password changed to something secure.

Unless your personally identifiable information such as Social Security Number or Credit Card Numbers were accessible by the account, I don't think that there is a reason to be worried. Angry yes, but not worried. Just report him to the school first and then go to the police if they suggest it or don't take action.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
vc .net