Tuesday, May 25, 2010

A policeman gave me a ride home last night because my ride didn't show, why'd he write down my license after?

I was sitting outside the bar on a bench and two cops drove up because someone reported an intoxicated person outside. I was just sitting there but I was very drunk. I was just going to walk home but it was preety far. Could he have arrested me if I wasn't being a disturbance, I was just quietly sitting there? One was kind enough to give me a ride but he did take my license and wrote down the info. on it. He knew me because I worked at a gas station he frequented while on duty. Why'd he write down my info.? Should I worry about this? Or is this normal protocal? I'm glad he didn't arrest me becuase it is so wrong if someone isn't making a disturbance and is of legal age and WAS NOT DRIVING.
Answer:
Many patrolman have to keep a log. He, more than likely, just took your information down to enter into his patrol log. The log would read that he responded to the call and found you sitting on the bench and gave you a courtesy ride to your residence. Some places may do an informational report saying pretty much the same thing. If you was going to arrest you, he would have done it at the bench outside the bar.
Cops like to document everything they do. Sometimes its to cover their bum and sometimes its to gather evidence against you. If he had to write a report regarding the call and what he did it would be dumb to say he gave a ride to a stranger and not be able to say who. Unless I'm driving or need ID to buy alcohol, I try not to carry ID. Why should I?
I believe some areas have public intoxication laws, but most likely he was documenting the who, what,and why of what he was doing during that time period for the record.
its against all department regulations too give any civillans a free ride in a ny police car. they could be immediately fired. the reason is insurance reasons. if they were too get in a accident with you in there being drunk or what ever, they could be imediately firedd. and you could have suied the police dept/ these officers were, out of line. unless they arrest you. they need to go ba ck too the police academy fast.
Whether your are being quiet and orderly or not...the offense you COULD have been arrested for is called Public Intoxication.

Too often people don't see your side of how police frequently assist those in distress. You COULD have been arrested but instead were given a safe ride home.

Taking your license information is for nothing more than insuring the "courtesy ride" was documented as a part of the shift activity log!

Best wishes.
Could still have been a drunk and disorderly charge. Maybe he wants to date you?
they needed your info to file an incident report for the record... that is all.
It is normal to write down every person we come in contact with. All sorts of crimes have been solved this way. If you committed a crime and someone came up and said you frequented a certain place it could help. If you were found with no ID it could help that he had your name on file. After you left the car he may have ran a warrant check. He may have taken your name down because it is his department policy to write down every person he transports. Or, he may have been worried you would say something inappropriate happened and wanted to ensure that he had your name just in-case a complaint was made... You could have also been cited for public intox, you admitted to being drunk. I assume that you weren't because you said this officer comes to your gas station...We like our free coffee.
In my opinion it's just procedure. I witnessed a car accident one time and they took my driver's license information... I'm certain it's along the same lines. Just keeping track of who they came into contact with and what they were doing on the government's time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
vc .net