Saturday, October 24, 2009

2 Warrants... How much time will I have to serve? Los Angeles, California...?

At 16, I never had the time to get my license cuz I was busy going to school and working 2 jobs to support my dying grandma. When she died, I was 18, forced to live in her car, and was unable to get my license due to the time I didn't have. I was soon pulled over after my grandma's registration expired. I was given a ticket for driving w/o a license, not being insured, and not having registration, but let me keep my car due to my situation. I went to court, and was given a fine that I couldn't pay. I asked for community service but the gal at the window told me it would be better to just pay it. Within that time, I was unable to get my license because I owed the court the fine, but I continued to drive. Soon, some1 hit my car, and the cops came. The cops asked for my license and registration, and my car was towed away, and I received another ticket as I moved on to the street. I'm 22 now, still struggling, have 2 warrants because I couldn't pay the fine or get the 2nd notice.
Answer:
If this can be handled by payment alone, and if you have the funds, you may be able to take care of this through the DMV. If not, or if you do not have the money, you should go to the courthouse, and speak to the Public Defender there, so you will have an attorney when you go to court. If you voluntarily surrender to the court, it is unlikely that you would be sent to jail for this kind of problem.

For future reference, you cannot be put in jail for failing to make payments if you do not have the money. You can be put in jail for not making your appearances. So if you cannot pay, always appear and tell the judge. And never take legal advice from a clerk at a window.
If you don't have any money or any place to live, maybe you should join the military. I'm sure you can work out a deal where you get no jail time in exchange for enlisting.

The military isn't great but at least it will get you on your feet.
If you live on the streets, how are you on FreeLawAnswer.com ?. If this is real, I'm really sorry to hear about your situation. Contact the court and see if you can get them to drop your charges or at least some of them....good luck!
Contact the court of which has jurisdiction over the warrants to determine the "pay off" amount of the tickets.

Get your drivers license and get back on your feet.

Best wishes.
If there's a warrant, you're better off turning yourself in.

Or, are you one of these people who thinks "I made a lot of bad choices, but now I don't want to face the consequences"?

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
vc .net