Saturday, October 31, 2009

A bill collector has started to call my neighbors, by looking in the phone book at our address.?

I'm doing my best to pay, but what I need to know is if this is harrassment? I am embarrassed that my neighbors are being called with my business. If it is harrassment (legally) what can I do about it?
Answer:
that's illegal...go speak to an attorney..and second of all you need to tell them to not contact you anymore and legally they have to but that doesnt stop them pursuing the debt and really if youre still paying they cant do anything...i had the same issue and i did what im telling you to do and it stopped...if youre able to try and call them to make a settlement offer which can be 50 to 60% less of what you owe but it requires you to have the amount agreed on immediately to pay off..hope this helps and dont stress too much..
get lawyer, sue.
Yes, it certainly is harrassment, not to mention a violation of confidentiality. Find out which company is calling and report them. There are laws to protect debtors for over-eager collectors.
Call them and raise hell. They can only use this technique to track someone down. If you've made arrangements and are paying them what you can, just call them and tell them if it continues they will not get one more penny.
That IS harrassment, and illegal.
I have quit paying on 5 credit cards totaling $5,000.00. They call and call but I leave my answering machine on 24/7. I had to do this 10 years ago and they give up after awhile until the company gives your account to another bill collector. Finally, it all just disappeared and I didn't have to pay a cent. Yes, my credit rating sucked for awhile but who cares. I own my home and car and don't need or want any more credit, especially credit cards. I have never heard of a bill collector calling neighbors but it sure doesn't sound right. Call Better Business Bureau if you can't get ahold of a bankruptcy lawyer.
In most states it is explicitly illegal for a debt collector to call your neigbors, family, or employers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
vc .net