Saturday, October 31, 2009

911 calling?

Are 911 calls kept on record and if so for how long? I called today and they asked for my last name, first name and then my date of birth - I mean it was for an embarrasing situation and the cop showed up at my place but only for 5 second but I just want to know if they keep that kind of thing on record - I mean if I get pulled over and go to jail, can they search my record
Answer:
Yes, 911 calls are kept on record. This is in accordance with FCC regulations.

You woke up and you thought that you saw someone. You called 911. That's okay. The cop showed up and everything turned out to be fine. That's even better.

It's a lot better than the alternative. There really could have been someone there. Your life could have been in danger.

You have nothing to be embarrassed about. The information they asked for is required. They are supposed to ask for that. It's policy. There won't be anything on a police record of you calling. Calline 911 for assistance is not against the law.

Calls are recorded for a number of reasons. What if the call is because someone is being murdered? The tape of that call can provide valuble information to prosecute a suspect.
The tapes can be used to remind witnesses of information they provided.

I can give you a personal example of when a 911 call helped. I was behind a drunk driver one day. I called 911. It was 18 minutes before police could catch up with me and the driver of the other vehicle. I stayed on the phone, telling the operator where we were, what roads we were on, what intersections we had gone through and so on. Using this information, the operator was able to direct police to our location and arrest the drunk driver. The tape was later used in court to prosecute the driver. I was called as a witness but pretty much all I had to do was verify that it was my voice on the tape. There was no way I was going to remember everything I said during that 18 minute 911 call. The tape was actually the witness. Charge: DUI.Verdict: Guilty. Sentence: I didn't stick around for that.
9-1-1 records are kept for a long time. It may vary from locality to locality, but I'd think an absolute minimum would be seven years.
They are kept on record for their information more than anything; but that is not something that would ever show up as "against you" in a records check unless the officer let you know you had broken the law.
Yes they keep transcripts, assumably forever. But if Alberto Gonzales gets his hands on your record, your in luck cause he probably won't recall losing it. hehehe

But it can't be held against you in court. And it is confidential, classified etc. But is also in the Public Domain, which even top secret documents are.
uh, yeah, but they cant let you know that because you might get someones personal information by lying, but when a cop pulls you over, or you do something ludachris such as robbing a bank, it shows up on your criminal record, ok so not criminal, your record.
You can always ask for the call to be anonymous. As long as you aren't calling to report a bomb in the white house or something really crazy.

I highly doubt that it shows up when you are pulled over. Unless you were cited with something.
They do keep it, but not to search your records. It is a backup, incase someone says they said this, when they really said that. Investigates us it to listen to a voice when a murder has been called in, to get a feel for the call. Get all the tickets you want, they won't trace you through the 911 call.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
vc .net